Taking an all-encompassing view of the campus was the job of the various UIC Master Plan committees and their consultant team during Phase I. Looking at the implications of numerous conditions and proposing several options for how the campus could look and feel in the future has taken the majority of time during Phase II. This effort will culminate in a report to be issued early next month which focuses on the preferred option.
As a result of study, committee discussions, and campus and community meetings, the following provisions should be assumed within the preferred option and as we move into Phase III:
- After their functions have been relocated to other appropriate spaces, alternative uses (including buildings and/or open spaces) can be envisioned for the land that currently lies beneath the following buildings:
Applied Health Sciences Building
Disability, Health and Social Policy Building
Lecture Centers B and E
Marshfield Avenue Building
- The Commonwealth Edison Sub-Station site will be cleared and available for other purposes.
- No further consideration should be given to the demolition of the following buildings:
Behavioral Sciences Building
School of Public Health and Psychiatric Institute
- Surface parking should be phased out, structured parking should be expanded, and, in line with the Campus Climate Action Plan’s goal, a 30% reduction in drive-alone UIC commuting should be incorporated into parking and traffic assumptions and projections.
- The concept of a modest, partial decking over the Eisenhower to create a landscaped open space and/or “transit-oriented development” (T.O.D.) can be carried forth, but only with the caveat that it would not be built with UIC funds.
- The medical center and affiliated medical support facilities will eventually create major frontages on both sides of Roosevelt Road.
- Projects which would require minimal capital, yet have major visual impacts in the short term, should be given significant emphasis in both the Phase II report and beyond.
Okay, now that we’ve got a plan in mind, let’s all forward paddle. STROKE, STROKE...
Question of the week: Fill in the blank: What the campus needs most is ______.
Until next Friday…